After Mario, Zelda is probably the most popular series out there. It has had critically acclaimed games on so many different retro platforms and is credited with kick starting the RPG genre. Let's take a look at the 5 best Zelda games ever made.
1) The Legend of Zelda is where it all started. You play as Link in a top-down view and navigate the large overworld and various dungeons. This game is all about exploring the game map and fighting the many enemies you encounter with your increasingly powerful weapons. The experience this game offers is still enticing today and it definitely deserves a spot in your collection.
2) When people heard The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening was coming to the Game Boy, many feared it would be a smaller, dumbed down version of the series we'd all grown to love. Luckily that was nowhere near the case as the game pushed the boundaries with captivating gameplay and beautiful graphics. You'll navigate through 8 dungeons that are all locked with keys and there are a few side scrolling sections that nicely break up the town down view. One of the most interesting things is that while the graphics are only black and white, the developers have managed to create a visually stunning world to explore.
3) In The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, the puzzle solving is really well done and the combat is simple yet engaging and introduces some new elements like blocking. There are two different worlds in the game. You start off in the Light world where everything is bright and colorful and then as you progress through the game you'll venture into the Dark world where the bad guys are harder and the land looks desolate. And as usual, along the way you'll visit various interesting dungeons and you even get to find the Master Sword. This one is definitely a must play for any Zelda fan.
4) The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was revolutionary because it was the first Zelda title to appear in 3D. Link not only has his sword, boomerang and bow and arrow, but the combat system is improved even further as now the game allows you to target individual enemies. Also the addition of being able to travel on horseback makes makes getting around the large map much faster. Ocarina of Time was able to bring all of the wonder of classic Zelda titles into a new 3D world and it makes for a fantastically fun experience.
5) One of the most noticeable things in The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker is the unique graphics that actually make it feel like you're playing a cartoon that you can control. The game starts with a giant bird capturing Link's sister and you join up with some pirates to venture off to save her. You get to immerse yourself in a whole new world where you actually sail your ship across a huge ocean. New items like the grappling hook add some new gameplay elements and the giant bosses are a blast to face off against. With wonderful graphics and an interesting story, this is a memorable entry in the Zelda series.